Beer guy who likes science. Or scientist that likes beer. Either way, doesn't matter.
|7/5/2019||Saar Bank Cascade Pale Ale||American Pale Ale||5.1 %||22 Liter(s)|
|7/5/2019||Bredenhof Comet Pale Ale||American Pale Ale||5.1 %||22 Liter(s)|
|7/5/2019||Pine Bomb Pale Ale||American Pale Ale||5.3 %||21 Liter(s)|
|2/24/2019||Citrus Empire Imperial IPA||Double IPA||8.0 %||20 Liter(s)|
|1/27/2019||Ella El Dorado Pale Ale||American Pale Ale||4.5 %||20 Liter(s)|
|9/26/2018||Rye IPA - Fresh Hop||American IPA||6.8 %||22 Liter(s)|
|9/24/2018||Rakau Pale Ale||American Pale Ale||5.1 %||20 Liter(s)|
|9/20/2018||Centennial and Cascade - Fresh Hop||English IPA||6.6 %||20 Liter(s)|
|9/19/2018||Chinook - Fresh Hop||American IPA||6.5 %||21 Liter(s)|
|9/15/2018||Chinook||American IPA||7.3 %||20 Liter(s)|
|9/2/2018||Centennial and Cascade||American IPA||6.6 %||20 Liter(s)|
|1/16/2017||SMASH ESB||Strong Bitter||5.5 %||17 Liter(s)|
|1/15/2017||IPA||American IPA||7.4 %||19 Liter(s)|
|1/15/2017||Chocolate Oatmeal Stout||Oatmeal Stout||6.0 %||19 Liter(s)|
Sparged for 40 min. Squeezed the water out of a few scoops of hops 20 minutes in to the boil. Added last hops at flame out. Gave it a good stir then chilled to 80 degrees with a wort chiller. Gave the hops a good stir then let them sit for 10 min, then gave them a good stir and let them sit for another 10. Aerated by moving half the wort chiller in and out for the last few minutes of cooling, making some froth. Cooled to 25 degrees. Scooped out and squeezed out water from fresh hops after hop ...
Mashed at 68.5 for 1 hour, sparged at 77 for 30 minutes. Fresh hops from the garden added to the boil. After flame out cool to 90 degrees with a heat exchanger, add final addition of 150g of hops, stir for 2 min then let stand for 20 min. Then, with sanitized strainer and spoon, stir and scoop out the hops and squeeze the liquid out of them. I went through probably 75% o the hops in the kettle this way.
15L of strike water at 75. Mash at 68.5 after 20 minutes. 68.4 after 40 minutes. 67.8 after 60 minutes. Sparge with another 16L at 77. OG is 1.064, a bit lower than the predicted OG. This is likely because the mash temperature was high and there was slightly more sparge water than needed. Efficiency was 71%. I need to sparge longer next time. It was only about 15 minutes.
Rain and high humidity may slightly reduce evaporation from the boil. Preheated mash tun at 70C for a few minutes with 3l of water. Strike water at 77C, mash at 70.4 after 20min. Mash 69.1 after 40min. Mash 68.5 after 60min. I think the gravity was lower because 1) I used too much sparge water and diluted the beer. My boil size was closer to 28-29L than 25. 2) My mash tun is better insulated than I thought and it rested at a higher temperature than predicted. Womp womp. Now I know. Efficiency ...