Beer nerd and homebrewer located in Charleston, SC.
|8/10/2019||Football Beer - Kolsch Rebrew||Kölsch||4.7 %||5 Gallon(s)|
|6/29/2019||Wedding Neipa with pilsner base malt||American IPA||6.1 %||5 Gallon(s)|
|3/17/2019||Wedding NEIPA||American IPA||6.3 %||5 Gallon(s)|
|3/14/2019||Penchant Rye Pale Ale||American IPA||6.3 %||5 Gallon(s)|
|3/12/2019||Wedding Saison||Saison||5.4 %||5 Gallon(s)|
|3/5/2019||Wedding Kolsch Round 2||Blonde Ale||6.4 %||5 Gallon(s)|
|2/11/2019||Wedding Kolsch||Kölsch||5.0 %||5 Gallon(s)|
|2/11/2019||4th Year non-wedding NEIPA||American IPA||7.0 %||5 Gallon(s)|
|9/30/2017||Fortunate Islands Clone||American Wheat Beer||5.4 %||5 Gallon(s)|
|9/22/2017||Arthuresque||Saison||5.8 %||5 Gallon(s)|
|9/1/2017||Pilsner Type Thing||German Pils||4.7 %||1 Gallon(s)|
|8/13/2017||Random Saison Thing||Saison||4.3 %||5 Gallon(s)|
|3/20/2017||Down Under Vic Secret-Citra NEIPA||American IPA||5.4 %||5 Gallon(s)|
|2/14/2017||Adulting||American Brown Ale||5.9 %||1 Gallon(s)|
|1/16/2017||Grandmas Candy 2||Sweet Stout||6.4 %||5 Gallon(s)|
|1/4/2017||Empiric Therapy||American IPA||7.6 %||5 Gallon(s)|
|12/26/2016||Grandmas Candy||Sweet Stout||6.7 %||5 Gallon(s)|
|12/19/2016||Juicy NE IPA||American IPA||7.0 %||5 Gallon(s)|
0.5 g/gal gypsum & 1.0 g/gal CaCl, all added to strike water. Liquor to grist ratio of 1.5. Lots of rice hulls. Heated strike water to 168.5 F, mash came in at 156.5F.Didn't have summit, so used citra for bittering instead :(Mash was a tad thin and had difficulty getting the grainbed to sit and consequently getting super clear wort. I think it should be fine, but I would have liked to see fewer flecks of grain heading for the kettle. Should lower the liquor to grist ratio down to 1.35 or 1.4 ...
0.25 g/gal gypsum & 0.5 g/gal CaCl for water treatment. Liquor to grist ratio of 1.5 qt/lb. Mashed in with 4.6 gal of 168F water. After grain was fully soaked and a couple of good stirs, nailed target mash temp of 156F.Collected 2.5 gal first runnings, so will collect 4.2 gallons from the sparge. A little worried I may have gotten slightly too much grain in the kettle towards the end of collection, but whatever. Also only had 0.5 oz of summit for bittering, so I added 0.3 oz of AU Ella to the ...
Mashed in with 4 gal of 160F strike water for a starting mash temp of 148F. Added 1/2 campden tablet per 5 gal water, 0.75 g/gal gypsum and 0.3g/gal CaCl. Began recircuating mash 30 minutes in, took quite a while to start seeing clear wort, will likely use more rice hulls next time (I just haphazardly threw in a handful at mash in) - should start taking better measurements of rice hulls. Drained off 2.5 gal first runnings into the kettle and immediately placed on burner. Evaporated an ...
Added 0.5g/gal gypsum and 1.0g/gal CaCl to strike water as it heated up. Listening to brulosophy podcast about the hop stand, which is talking about the importance of chilling to ~175F prior to adding the hop stand charge. Will not forget to do this today!Pre heated mash tun with ~2 gal of ~180F water. Doughed in with 171F strike water, mash came in a tad hot at 157.5F, so diluted with 0.25 gal distilled water, which brought the mash down to 155F. Then I realized I forgot to add in the flaked ...
Went with a 50/50 dilution of home water and distilled water. Added 0.25g/gal gypsum and 0.75g/gal CaCl to both strike and sparge water. Side note - the silver scale that i bought at BES isn't super accurate and cannot measure fractions of grams (i.e., it can measure 3g or 4g, but no in between).Strike water heated to 163F and then mashed in. Mash ended up being slightly hot at 152.4F, not too bad for not having brewed in a year though.Grist ratio was 1.5 quarts per pound of grain, leading to ...
Nailed mash temp of 155F. Added 2.7 oz Citra at whirlpool since I didn't want to keep 0.7 oz. Chilled to 65 F, pitched Melbourne Ale Yeast (WLP 059) after creating a starter for it that morning. Added 3.5 g gypsum and 2 g CaCl to both the strike and sparge water. Collected 2.1 gallons first runnings, 4.6 gallons from the sparge for 6.7 gallons total. 1.052 Original gravity. Left at 65 F to ferment.
Mashed in with 4.15 gal of 166.5 F water for target of 156F. Ended up getting initial mash temp of 154.5. Added another 1/2 gal of hot water to raise to 155.9 F. Subtracted extra 0.5 gal water from sparge volume, yielding an adjusted sparge volume of 4.0 gallons (as opposed to the theoretical sparge volume of 4.47 gal). Allowed to sit for 30 min and then began recirculation. Drained 2.35 gallons of first runnings. Added 4 gallons of 175F water to mash tun for mash out. Mash out temp: 168F. ...
Overshot mash temperature. Strike water was 161.5F, mash temp started out closer to 154F as opposed to 150F. Added 6g CaCl to the wort as it came to a boil. Added 8.5 oz of Briess Pilsen Light DME to the boil at 20 minutes in order to correct for lower gravity than anticipated. Whirlfloc at 20 minutes. Chilled to 185F, added 1 oz each of El Dorado, Citra, and Medusa hops, and allowed to steep for 20 minutes. Then chilled to 68F. Put in fermentation chamber at 68F and pitched cultures, allowed ...
Undershot pre-boil gravity, not paying close enough attention to proper strike & sparge water volumes. Pre-boil gravity was 1.030, so added 4 oz DME during the boil, ended up with a post-boil gravity of 1.056. Chilled to ~68F, put in fermentation chamber set at 65F. Pitched 3-4 hours later, WLP 008 (East Coast) in glass 3-gallon carboy, WLP 095 (Burlington) in plastic 3-gallon carboy at approx. 9 pm that night. No sign of activity the following morning (7/31/2017) at 8 am. First signs of ...
2 g of CaCl to strike water. Working with the recirculation pump was a pain. As per Chris, I need to have wort already flowing from the tun prior to starting the pump. Reduce the amount of midnight wheat significantly in the next batch. Replace with Maris Otter IOT maintain normal ABV.