Raised 3G water with 1.2g gypsum and 0.8g CaCl2 to 118F.
Mashed in with grain, temp didn't seem to drop much. Added about 400mL of cold tap water, temp seems to be holding at 116F. Pulled off the still warm stove grill and put the lid on. Did not put a towel or anything on pot.
Left pot with lid on and blanket on top after hitting 160F. After 30 mins of no stirring or anything the temp had dropped to 155F.
So temp drops a few percent over the course of a 30 mash step. Especially because I moved pot off hot grill each time so the temp wouldn't continue to rise. Advise to thoroughly wrap pot with insulation next time, and probably stir and add heat half way through mash next time.
heated up 1.85G of sparge water with following salt additions:
collected about 2.7G first runnings after mash, before sparging.
sparged with sparge water to 4G.
4G @ 1.032 @ 118F = 1.042 @ 60F
1.033 @ 106F = 1.040 @ 60F
1.034 @ 103F = 1.041 @ 60F
Measured 13.5L (3.5G) preboil (using height 20.5cm * 660).
13.5L @ 1.033 @ 114F = 1.042 @ 60F.
Way overshot efficiency again.
Aiming for 11.3L = 2.5G @ 1.042 (this doesn't even seem right. why did I target this?)
Pulled out 2L of wort, added 1.5L water:
Have 12.5L @ 1.037.
Added 1.5L more water:
= ~14L @ 1.033 preboil
After boil: 15cm height ~= 10L @ 1.042 @ 74F
= 10L @ 1.044 @ 60F
Took another measurement, I guess?:
1.040 @ 80F = 1.042, call it 1.043
With only ~10L volume at end of boil, almost all liquid had to be transferred into fermenter, including trub material, making for a pretty murky wort into fermenter.
Grav taken july 21: corrected to 1.011 @ 60F
-still a reasonable krausen layer on top of fermentation.
Grav taken july 23: corrected to 1.009 @ 60F
-krausen mostly subsided but still a thin layer.
Going to wait a couple more days
Grav taken july 24: corrected to 1.009 @ 60F
Bottling july 25:
Boiled 2.8oz (weighed with scale) dextrose. (T
ferulic acid rest (113F):
1.5qt / lb = 9.75 = 9L @ 118F
-118F resulted in overshooting mash-in temp, so added cold water and ice cubes to reach 114F. Brought volume to 10L
maltose rest (145F):
1L @ 212F = 11L
-after adding boiling water, temp was around 135F, so direct heated the rest of the way tp 145F. Came in a bit hot at 147F.
dextrinization rest (160F):
-direct heated from 147F to 160F. Overshot temp, again, resulting in about 162F.
pull grain out:
after pulling grain out, and letting it drain a bit, had 9.2L in brew kettle. (lost ~2L to grain absorption)
sparged with 3.5L, squeezed bag a bit
ended up with 13.85L = 3.66G pre-boil volume
took grav sample:
1.046 @ 118F = 1.056 @ 60F
this results in 82% efficiency, so I removed 2.5L of wort, and replaced it with 2L of water.
This should roughly equate to collecting 3G preboil @ 1.056
This equates to 3.5G @ 1.048
after 70 min boil:
2.5G @ 1.062 @ 77F = 1.064
Pitched at 14.5C = 58F
Affixes blowoff a
BrewBrosJer is not followed by any brewers
BrewBrosJer is not following any brewers
Brewgr is an online homebrew community and recipe calculator to help homebrewers find, create and share homebrew recipes with other homebrewers.